Conching is the most important step in making Dùne Chocolate.
- Reduction of the moisture content
- Homogeneous mixing of all the ingredients
- Flavour development and elimination of acidity in the cocoa
- Covering solid particles (Cocoa Solids and Sugar) with fat (from Cocoa Butter and Milk)
- Improving the flow and reducing the viscosity
A classic conche (the machine in which conching is done) is double jacketed to regulate the temperature and has agitators to continuously stir the chocolate.
Conching can be done for 6 – 72 hours; depending on the formulation, nature of the cocoa beans and desired flavour profile.